The Albertina has one of the largest and most valuable graphics collections in the world. One of the Habsburgs’ most opulent residential palaces, the Albertina is situated on a remnant of the former city wall. Masterpieces of its collection include Dürer’s “Hare” or his “Hands Folded in Prayer” and other works on paper from Rubens to Picasso and Rauschenberg.
The palace takes its name from the collection’s founder, Duke Albert of Saxe-Teschen (1738-1822), a son-in-law of Austrian Empress Maria Theresa (1717-80).
The staterooms of the largest Hapsburg residential palace are kept in shining yellow, green and turquoise, partly furnished with original furniture. Both the entire gilding of the carvings with the special alloy "Albertina gold" and the artistic parquet floors with rose and ebony intarsia are well worth seeing.